A restaurant general manager does many things to make sure their restaurant runs smoothly and efficiently.
The goal is to meet and exceed customer expectations. This starts with the restaurant’s general manager.
Some of the main restaurant general manager’s responsibilities include:
- Handling all staffing decisions, including the recruitment of new staff.
- Monitoring adherence to federal and state guidelines, especially those related to health, safety, and alcohol regulations.
- Preparing and analyzing financial and sales projections.
- Overseeing the marketing and promotion of the restaurant.
- Sourcing needed materials and quality food for the restaurant.
- Implementing strategies to increase revenue on a per-customer basis.
Restaurant General Manager Soft and Hard Skills
Restaurant general managers are leaders.
They motivate their employees and create an atmosphere of teamwork. That way, the workflow of the restaurant is efficient.
The restaurant general manager also needs good planning and organizational skills. This helps ensure that enough staff and food supplies are on hand. Additionally, workers need to understand the job that they are tasked with. The general manager plans what needs to be done and trains the staff.
Finally, a good restaurant manager is adaptable and flexible. No two days on the job are the same, so you want someone who adapts to incoming challenges.
Restaurant General Manager Job Description
The restaurant manager’s responsibilities are comprehensive.
These responsibilities address anything that arises while working at a busy restaurant, such as:
- Interacting with customers to ensure a quality experience
- Making recommendations as needed
- Ensuring quality food standards are upheld
The restaurant manager is often a forward-facing role.
But, the restaurant manager also handles behind-the-scenes aspects of a restaurant, including:
- Monitoring the budget and accurately maintaining restaurant records
- Ensuring food and beverages are prepared correctly, and recipes are followed
- Organizing the staff schedule and coordinating restaurant operations during each shift
- Sourcing, meeting, and bargaining with distributors to ensure price points are met
Considering A Career As A Restaurant General Manager?
Stratford Career Institute is proud to offer a comprehensive restaurant management course that will help you stand out from the competition.
Our distance learning course will give you the skills you need to succeed and provides critical insider knowledge of the hospitality industry.
You will learn the following and more:
- Restaurant manager responsibilities
- Menu development
- Standards and service
- Financial statements and business planning
Explore a new career by enrolling in our Restaurant Management Course today!
Interested in a Career as a Restaurant General Manager?
Learn what it takes to become a restaurant general manager by taking our online distance learning course!